Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Italy rowing star Abbagnale to miss Olympics after third missed test



DPA ©




Italy's Luca Parlato, Vincenzo Abbagnale and Enrico D'Aniello
Italian rowing world champion Vincenzo Abbagnale is set
to be excluded from the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in August after
"unwittingly" skipping a doping test for the third time, his
federation said Wednesday.
Abbagnale, son of Olympic gold medal winner and current Italian
Rowing Federation President Giuseppe Abbagnale, was due to lead
Italy's eight an the Games. The 22-year-old's career-high so far has
been winning the men's coxed pair at the 2013 world championships.
According to his federation, Abbagnale arrived 16 minutes late at a
February 1 out-of-competition test, after experiencing a car
breakdown on the way from Rome to his training centre in Sabaudia,
about 100 kilometers south of the Italian capital.
Because he had missed two previous controls, one due to
"forgetfulness" and another because of a technical glitch in the
software tracking athletes' whereabouts, he is now due for a doping
ban of one or two years, the federation said.
It added that Abbagnale has sent a justification note to anti-doping
authorities, but his disqualification was nevertheless "probable,"
and, "under the best scenario will exclude the athlete from the
national squad for a year, forcing him to miss" the Olympics.
The federation said Abbagnale has passed "about" 15 doping tests
since 2013 and is convinced of being "clean."

0 comments:

Post a Comment